Sunday, March 28, 2010

Learnign Journal Mar. 28th

This week- I attended Gut Girls, in Sackville, at MTA- and I read The Beaux Stratagem. Like a boob- I forgot to post on the GG forum after reading it. So... maybe Ill be seeing another play this semester.

Gut Girls was a great experience- the stage was so cramped that the actors were right in your face. There was a particular scene (mind you I was in the front row) where on of the mothers was peeling potatoes- Because I was so damn close to her- it was hard to focus on what was happening on the other side of the stage, I just sat there and watched her whittle away at the potato... Probably because I have a short attention span.

It was a shame that the gutting tables were only used once, but to everyones surprise- there is only one scene in the sheds. Im a stickler at times- I though the props for the organs could have been a lot better- they looked really dry... which made it unbelievable. Thats is something you have to work with when you are producing a show in a theater that small- the audience can see absolutely everything that you do. They can see how dry and fake the organs look- or the cracks in the paint of the styrofoam piggy.

I didnt really notice/care about the lack of english accents- but I am sure that if this play were produced anywhere else- there would be a lot more emphasis put on them. The different classes of England have very distinct accents- which are important for class distinctions- but they were, for the most part, ignored in this production.

Again, I say, good job Gut Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment